Desiderata

Today's post is a little more serious than I usually go for, but it's something that is near and dear to my heart at the moment.
 


 
My mom sent me a poem called "Desiderata" by Max Ehrmann today.  It's just lovely.  Anyway, I couldn't shake how this poem made me feel in light of all that is going on in our world today, and as teachers, a huge part of why we went pursued a teaching degree was to let the future of the world know that they are important, they are valued, and that they are loved.  It is SO hard to remember on the days when the students know need this reminder most are the ones you want to yell at and send in the hallway and to tell them just how obnoxious and naughty they are.  But, I truly believe that so much of the violence in our country is a cry for help.  A cry from someone who doesn't feel valued and loved, and a cry from someone who needs to know that they are a child of the universe, no less than the tree and the stars and that they have a right to be here.  As a teacher, I hope when my students leave my classroom at the end of each year they feel more valued than on day 1.  I hope they learned academic stuff, too, but if they learn but one thing, I hope they know that I love and value them.


No comments:

Post a Comment